Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Join Coney Island USA on Facebook!

Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

Back To ConeyIsland.com

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The shuttering of the Coney Island bulletin boards (Read 424 times)
BrooklynAlex

Don't hassle me, I'm local

Surf & Stillwell
The shuttering of the Coney Island bulletin boards
Oct 12th, 2017 at 4:31pm

I saw in the SPAM SPAM SPAM thread that CIUSA will be shutting down this forum due to costs associated with hosting the forums.

This is laughable. There are literally over 50+ free forums and forum hosting services this can be replaced with. This board has HUNDREDS of pages documenting the history and changes of and to Coney Island and its' residents. How can anyone so easily just shut this down? This board has a maximum of a dozen active users and we never host content on the forum itself; we just link to pictures or YouTube posts. Don't lie about the burden of hosting costs when anyone who's ever used the internet before knows how full of shit that claim is. There are thousands of old, inactive forums languishing on the internet and no one is shutting them down because they are hosted on the forum platform themselves TOTALLY FREE. I'd be shocked if this forum costs more than $20 total, annually, IF ANYTHING AT ALL.

Coney Island USA, the bastion of the future of American Honky Tonk culture, don't think it's their responsibility to have an internet presence where other fans, residents & funders of Coney Island can speak and share ideas. In 2017. In the social media age. You just can't make this up  Cheesy

I'm putting out a feeler to gauge interest; I'm willing to go through the pain in the butt of setting up a new forum for us. Do you guys think I should? Should we keep this going? Coney Island forums 2.0 anyone?

And perhaps even more importantly; is there anyone more computer savvy than I that could do a backup (or a copy!) of this forum for historical purposes? I've learned so much on here and I reference many of these posts often... I can't bear the thought of all this being lost to history...

Hope all are well
Alex

IP Logged

Elephant Man
Gold Member

4th Largest City in America
Re: The shuttering of the Coney Island bulletin boards
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 6:41pm

BrooklynAlex wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 4:31pm:
I saw in the SPAM SPAM SPAM thread that CIUSA will be shutting down this forum due to costs associated with hosting the forums.

This is laughable. There are literally over 50+ free forums and forum hosting services this can be replaced with. This board has HUNDREDS of pages documenting the history and changes of and to Coney Island and its' residents. How can anyone so easily just shut this down? This board has a maximum of a dozen active users and we never host content on the forum itself; we just link to pictures or YouTube posts. Don't lie about the burden of hosting costs when anyone who's ever used the internet before knows how full of shit that claim is. There are thousands of old, inactive forums languishing on the internet and no one is shutting them down because they are hosted on the forum platform themselves TOTALLY FREE. I'd be shocked if this forum costs more than $20 total, annually, IF ANYTHING AT ALL.

Coney Island USA, the bastion of the future of American Honky Tonk culture, don't think it's their responsibility to have an internet presence where other fans, residents & funders of Coney Island can speak and share ideas. In 2017. In the social media age. You just can't make this up† Cheesy

I'm putting out a feeler to gauge interest; I'm willing to go through the pain in the butt of setting up a new forum for us. Do you guys think I should? Should we keep this going? Coney Island forums 2.0 anyone?

And perhaps even more importantly; is there anyone more computer savvy than I that could do a backup (or a copy!) of this forum for historical purposes? I've learned so much on here and I reference many of these posts often... I can't bear the thought of all this being lost to history...

Hope all are well
Alex

On this message forum can be found the most comprehensive documentation of the entire "Save Coney Island" movement from beginning to end.  From the first purchase Thor Equities made.  Detailed documentation of the demolition of the Bank building and Henderson building.  All current events as they happened over the past 16 years, massive galleries of mermaid parades and special events.  The Municipal Art Society project.  Hundreds of members no longer active on this forum, back when they were  being proactive to save Coney Island from complete demolition and paving the way for it to  evolve into the Coney Island we see today.   And that is just the history  being wiped out from  the NEWS section.   

The History section contains thousands of posts with historical images, movies, essays. 
The works of our late friend,  Richard Concepcion, aka Rapid T Rabbit on carousels and classic amusements.
and contributions from  operators of rides and games on Bowery and other locations that have since passed away.

The Fitlin/Buxbaum family story is on here in detail, as told by the late  Scott Fitlin, known on here as "Thor Hater".

That is probably just skimming the surface on the vast amount of 21st century Coney Island history and 19th and 20th century archives that are stored on here. 

It's a damn shame, but given the way things are going, it does not surprise me. 

IP Logged

Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 8:06pm

A short while ago I alluded to how some posters seemed to lack a genuine joy for Coney Island. This BB was taken-over several years ago by spammers of a different nature than the buy your Nikeís or essay here type. Some posts have been very narrowly focused and self-serving with a lack of respect for diverse views. I myself am guilty of defensiveness and I apologize to you if  my responses at times have offended you.

I use to look forward to participating in the CIBB community. So many have shared their great personal histories, anecdotal records, photos, knowledge, and more of Coney Island past, present and future. I miss the old CIBB. It just hasnít been the same recently.

I am very happy to see this post Brooklyn Alex. I have been debating whether or not to reach out via PM to you, Elephant Man, West 32, LP Chris and a number of other members. I would love to maintain contact. Perhaps we can do so on Facebook?

IP Logged

majs007
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 7:43am

I would really hope that these boards don't close down... it's one of my few sources of news for where I live specifically. Growing up in Coney Island and still living here as a resident, and raising my kids here, it was through this forum that I even knew about the tower that was being built.

Yeah, I am not a big poster... I'm a pretty quiet gal, but I come online here a lot, even just to see the history.

IP Logged

daviduk
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 8:27am

Speaking as an outsider Iíve enjoyed reading your forums for a good many years without signing up to post. When I first considered visiting CI it was reading these boards that gave me the confidence to bring the family down on the subway from our sanitised Manhattan vacation. I love reading whatís happening from over here in the IK. Would be a damn shame to shut them down.

D

IP Logged

Bogframe
Gold Member

Thanks for saving Ruby's
and Paul's Daughter!

Three stops from Coney Island
Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 4:53pm

If spammers are truly the problem, I'll volunteer as an administrator and remove them in a timely manner...just the spammers, trolls have their place.

Archive and restore your photos before they fade away! www.bogframe.com
WWW bogframe  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print