Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Join Coney Island USA on Facebook!

Visit YaBB today Wink

Back To ConeyIsland.com

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is Nathan's cutting back on franchise locations? (Read 742 times)
Rapid T. Rabbit
Gold Member

Coney Island & carousel
enthusiast

Corona (Queens) NY
Is Nathan's cutting back on franchise locations?
Apr 19th, 2017 at 4:24am

I've noticed over the past couple of years at least that Nathan's counters in shopping malls and food courts seem to be disappearing.  Their location at Queens Center mall has been replaced by a Chick-fi-la, and Riese Restaurants in Manhattan seem to have dropped Nathan's, though presently maintaining their Amtrak location in Penn Station.  The Nathan's that was at Six Flags Great Adventure is now a cheesesteak cafe. 

Meanwhile, Nathan's has been rolling hot dog trucks around Midtown Manhattan this past year.

Richard Concepcion&&Member, National Carousel Association&&& National Amusement Park Historical Association
WWW 14850929 rapidtrabbit RTRabbitNY  
IP Logged

coneyfan

Re: Is Nathan's cutting back on franchise locations?
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 11:12am

I don't know if they are cutting back, but I stay away from those outside of the New York area.  My experience has been that many, perhaps most, of them sell hot dogs that are different from and grossly inferior to those sold at Coney Island and Penn Station.

Tom

IP Logged

Elephant Man
Gold Member

4th Largest City in America
Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 11:22am

Rapid T. Rabbit wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 4:24am:
I've noticed over the past couple of years at least that Nathan's counters in shopping malls and food courts seem to be disappearing.  Their location at Queens Center mall has been replaced by a Chick-fi-la, and Riese Restaurants in Manhattan seem to have dropped Nathan's, though presently maintaining their Amtrak location in Penn Station.  The Nathan's that was at Six Flags Great Adventure is now a cheesesteak cafe. 

Meanwhile, Nathan's has been rolling hot dog trucks around Midtown Manhattan this past year.

The trucks are far more profitable due to portability, lower maintenance, and no rent.  I think there is one parked in Deno's now.

IP Logged

West 32nd
Gold Member

I Love Coney Island!

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 3:45pm

coneyfan wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 11:12am:
My experience has been that many, perhaps most, of them sell hot dogs that are different from and grossly inferior to those sold at Coney Island....

When I was growing up in Coney's West End, conventional wisdom was that Coney's dogs were special because of the salty ocean air.

Who knows.

Maybe there's something to that.

IP Logged

Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:41pm

Many upscale--and some not upscale--clothing labels have several tiers including products sold at: 1)company-owned boutiques and flagship stores 2) department stores 3) company owned web site, and....don't get angry....I'm not making this up....don't be disappointed...4) discount stores and outlet malls. Outlet malls rarely sell the companies best quality. You may luck out and get last season's, but don't count on it. Outlets often sell products made specifically for outlets. Those "discount prices" are usually meaningless since the products aren't sold elsewhere. Sorry if you thought you were getting real deals.

As far as Nathan's hot dogs are concerned, I'm not sure the above example applies but I'm not sure why it wouldn't. I can see Nathan's producing a dog unique to Coney Island that is different from the franchises. I made a connection with a meat distributor that supplies many popular Jewish-Style delis. There really are different versions of the cold cuts (I like the fatty, spicier cut). Why not Nathan's

About ten years ago, Nathan's actually opened a Kosher branch on Kings Highway and distributed the franks in area supermarkets. I though they tasted pretty good. Neither survived. The targeted population (Orthodox Jews) were not accepting of the kosher supervision.

IP Logged

Rapid T. Rabbit
Gold Member

Coney Island & carousel
enthusiast

Corona (Queens) NY
Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 8:27pm

It actually took me years to learn that Nathan's hot dogs sold at the baseball stadiums are definitely not the kind sold at Coney Island, as is the case with those sold in most supermarkets.

But we did discuss earlier on this board that you can get the actual "Coney-style" Nathan's franks at a limited number of supermarkets, around here mainly at Stop N Shop, if you look for the pack identified as "natural casing".

Richard Concepcion&&Member, National Carousel Association&&& National Amusement Park Historical Association
IP Logged

West 32nd
Gold Member

I Love Coney Island!

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 9:38pm

Purely a personal preference, but I always thought that the casing of Nathan's Coney Island's dogs was a bit too "snappy."  As you bite into a dog, there should be no sound effects.

But again... a personal preference.

IP Logged

Capt_Nemo
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 9:46pm

I doubt there is just one 'factory' creating the hot dogs sold under the Nathans Brand Name.  Does Nathans Famous, the company that operates Surf, 86 st. stores, plus licenses the name out to companies like Reeses (sp?)  inspect each factory to make sure they are adhering to the recipe?

Some franchisees use rolling mechanism to cook the hot dogs.  They need to be grilled.

I think using a grill, the sides can get more well done then if they are constantly turning.  Which is probably why you get more of a 'snap' when biting into one.

Bruce

Rapid T. Rabbit wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 8:27pm:
It actually took me years to learn that Nathan's hot dogs sold at the baseball stadiums are definitely not the kind sold at Coney Island, as is the case with those sold in most supermarkets.

But we did discuss earlier on this board that you can get the actual "Coney-style" Nathan's franks at a limited number of supermarkets, around here mainly at Stop N Shop, if you look for the pack identified as "natural casing".

Its all about the land between the Aquarium to Keyspan, south of Surf Ave.

IP Logged

West 32nd
Gold Member

I Love Coney Island!

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 8:39pm

My separation (by distance) from Nathan's Coney Island is just one reason I so regret my departure from New York (in 1979, largely for personal professional reasons).

For the first 10 years of my life, my family lived in the West End -- not more than a ten-minute walk to Nathan's on Surf Avenue.  Then we moved to the Luna Park Houses where I lived for another 16 years.  A five-minute walk to Nathan's.

I so miss it.

IP Logged

Capt_Nemo
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 9:49pm

news report concerning Subway.  They had a net loss of the number of operating franchises.  Even thought they opened new ones, more closed then opened.

Bruce

Its all about the land between the Aquarium to Keyspan, south of Surf Ave.

IP Logged

Rapid T. Rabbit
Gold Member

Coney Island & carousel
enthusiast

Corona (Queens) NY
Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 11:32pm

Capt_Nemo wrote on Apr 20th, 2017 at 9:49pm:
news report concerning Subway.  They had a net loss of the number of operating franchises.  Even thought they opened new ones, more closed then opened.

For that kind of sandwich, it's really Blimpies I miss.  They pretty much disappeared from Manhattan (except for maybe two small locations in East Harlem) and even the "original" Base in Hoboken has been forced to move "uptown" towards the Lincoln Tunnel.  Last time I checked, there is still a Blimpies in downtown Brooklyn at the Western edge of the Fulton Mall across the street from Borough Hall.

IP Logged

Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 4:51pm

Photo taken less than ten minutes after the power went out at 7th Avenue (Manhattan) subway station this morning. I was already in Brooklyn.

One news service reports that Subway is experiencing competition from "healthier" competitors (really?) and an increase in people cooking at home (really????). Yet, Subway's web site still has an active link for those interested in owning a franchise. Maybe the closures are company owned?

Wasn't there once a Blimpies on Kings Highway in the East Teens?

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2017 at 9:59pm by Lunaparker »  

IP Logged

West 32nd
Gold Member

I Love Coney Island!

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 11:54am

Lunaparker wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 4:51pm:
One news service reports that Subway is experiencing competition from "healthier" competitors...

"The study found that Subway's oven roasted chicken only contained about 53.6 percent chicken DNA, and the sweet onion chicken teriyaki strips had just 42.8 percent."

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/02/28/CBC-investigation-subway-chicken/218...

IP Logged

Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 3:08pm

WTF, West 32?!? 
WHERE'S THE CHICKEN???

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print