Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Join Coney Island USA on Facebook!

Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!

Back To ConeyIsland.com

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
History of Luna Park Housing (Read 647 times)
Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

History of Luna Park Housing
Apr 8th, 2017 at 1:10pm

Luna Park Housing was originally constructed by the New York City Housing Authority as a Public Housing Project. Before completion, the development was turned over to a private corporation with a link to the President of Brooklyn College. The following New York Times article provides some of the details. It is dated 13 May 1961. The first residents were selected by lottery, purchased their coops, and began moving in by the end of the year or early 1962.

IP Logged

West 32nd
Gold Member

I Love Coney Island!

Re: History of Luna Park Housing
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2017 at 3:32pm

Interesting, Lunaparker.  Thanks.

My family moved into Building 2 in June 1962.  To minimize disruption to my sister and me, my parents waited until the school year was over before our family made the move from the West End.  Our apartment between Mermaid and Neptune was small, and it was time for my sister and me to have our own bedrooms.

Some memories stay with you for your entire life.

I remember as a young kid walking with my parents along Mermaid Avenue and looking at the emptiness beyond the elevated subway tracks.  This was before the Luna Park Houses were built.

I remember my mother pointing to the emptiness and describing the magnificent amusement park that once stood there.  The electric lights at night, in particular, stood out in her memory.  She described how she and my dad used to go there on dates.

Some things, some moments, you never forget.

IP Logged

Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: History of Luna Park Housing
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2017 at 10:18am

Just before moving to Mermaid Avenue in the 1920s, my great grandmother lived in Bensonhurst/Bath Beach. My grandfather was heading to Coney Island from Queens one day and met my grandmother on the subway. They spent the day at Luna Park. The rest is history.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print