Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Join Coney Island USA on Facebook!

Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

Back To ConeyIsland.com

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coney Island Music Video (Read 497 times)
Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Coney Island Music Video
Feb 12th, 2017 at 8:07am

I was thinking about my old neighbourhood this morning. I played the Counting Crows (Featuring Vanessa Carlton) "Big Yellow Taxi" video from 2002. Great remake and great CI videography. Pre-Luna Park brickwork. The closing shots are exceptional.

http://www.vevo.com/watch/counting-crows/big-yellow-taxi/USIV20500192

IP Logged

West 32nd
Gold Member

I Love Coney Island!

Re: Coney Island Music Video
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 9:24pm

As a prior resident of Luna Park for 16 years, I feel I have a right to opine:

I don't like the "new" brickwork coloration.

My mama always taught me:  "If there's nothing wrong with it, don't mess with it."

IP Logged

Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 7:04pm

While re-bricking had nothing to do with aesthetics, Luna Park was looking somewhat shabby. Although I liked the refresh, I wasn't so thrilled with the new design West 32nd. Part of the class struggle I experienced was trying to convince people Luna Park was a coop, NOT a public housing project. Then one day I was researching something on Google Maps Street View and stumbled onto a public housing project with similar brick design. Drove home the point that surface is mostly superficial. What counts is inside and new bricks and windows can't change that.

IP Logged

West 32nd
Gold Member

I Love Coney Island!

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 6:47pm

You're a better judge than I, Lunaparker, on this.  I moved out of my parents' Luna Park apartment in early-1979 and visited there only for short visits thereafter.  You were there, full-time, for many more years.

For my years as a Luna Park resident (1962-1979), I have very fond and positive memories of the upkeep of the buildings and the grounds.  The terraces were painted regularly.  They occasionally got shabby looking, but they would eventually be repainted.

I remember when each of the five buildings had a distinctive terrace-pillar paint color.  Green or red or yellow or another color.  I have no idea if and when that painting practice ended.

The grounds were immaculately tended to.  The grounds crew was out there every day during the summer -- mowing the grass or trimming the shrubbery.

Again, I left at the beginning of 1979 -- so my visual memories are frozen as of that time.

IP Logged

Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 3:35pm

Everything you said is true West 32. I'm not totally sure when things deteriorated but they did. That's not to say Luna Park was uninhabitable or an eyesore, it just means things were "obviously" not as well maintained as they were in the past and it showed. For example, terraces were not painted in decades. Remnants of the last painting either wore away or was removed. Raw concrete can make an architectural statement--in a mid-century sort-of-way--but, at least to me, the terraces just seemed unfinished (as opposed to raw or brutalistic). When I brought my then girlfriend, now ex-wife to meet the parents in the mid 1990s she commented how the terraces reminded her of student housing.

In addition, the original design of the buildings are time-specific and from that perspective the design just didn't hold up well over time. Even an emaculately maintained 70s style house with dark wood panelling, orange carpeting, linoleum kitchen and halls, green, orange, and yellow paint, lava lamps, and walnut furniture is bound to elicit "what were they thinking" reaction from potential buyers. 

The grounds were still attractive overall at the time I left in 2012 except for the patches of dirt where grass use to be. Crews still worked the grounds but they did not do as meticulous job as they did in the past.

The brickwork was highly controversial and contended. Many believed only spot patching was necessary. The fact that it was ultimately determined that there was extensive structural damage requiring rebricking the complex (in addition to other structural remediation) is, in of itself, evidence that Luna Park was deteriorating

IP Logged

West 32nd
Gold Member

I Love Coney Island!

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 8:20pm

I always appreciate your Luna Park insights, Lunaparker.  You were there long after I moved out.

Back when my family moved in -- in 1962 -- there was still the expectation of "excellence."  Not perfection, but excellence.

People would complain to management if the terraces got too shabby in appearance.  The grounds were immaculately kept because residents expected that.

For me, this is ancient history.

I really don't know what current Luna Park residents expect and demand. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print