Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Join Coney Island USA on Facebook!

Welcome to our forum.

Back To ConeyIsland.com

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 ... 120
Send Topic Print
Rumor: Trump Village Shopping center to close (Read 465440 times)
Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Rumor: Trump Village Shopping center to close
Reply #1725 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 8:06am

Guys, there is an ongoing building boom throughout the City with projects far larger in scope than you are experiencing. You will survive just as everyone else does. No need to worry.

IP Logged

Capt_Nemo
Gold Member

Reply #1726 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 7:46pm

They are going to ask about their plans for plowing before it snows, so we can offer comments.

Bruce

Capt_Nemo wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 9:45pm:
good concerns.  i asked, even asked how the city will plow west 5th with those barriers taking up part of the street.

Bruce

32_GRINNING_TEETH wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 8:36pm:
Just as a 'weather headsup' >>> starting Dec. 06 late, a progressively cold and probably snowy regime will begin, and last for the remainder of the month most likely.
   Computer models which can and do spot these anomalous occurrences well in advance, warn of an EC blizzard extending from Georgia up to Maine at the mid-month point.  We will see.
   My point here is to ask how we are going to be able to walk through those makeshift lanes they created around the site.  I see nowhere for the plowed snow to go!  Two people with packages can barely pass each other now.  Only solution would be to remove some of that green wall to allow the snow to be dumped on the unused work area inside at those points.
  Ask our councilman that one.

Its all about the land between the Aquarium to Keyspan, south of Surf Ave.

IP Logged

32_GRINNING_TEETH

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BROOKLYN
Reply #1727 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 9:28am

Here is another Weather Heads up since it is so quiet otherwise.

Starting late XMAS day as temperature heads below freezing, and continuing at least until Jan. 06, the thermometer will be stuck continuously somewhere between 5 to 35 degs around here.  In addition, multiple  snow threats from 12/27----01/04 could leave 20" of snow behind.  The cold, especially with the NE buried under a white blanket could last till the usual Jan. 20th. thaw timeframe.

Since this snow is more likely than the earlier events,  what is the snow clearing plan decided upon?

Prior to XMAS temps. are 28 to 60degs.

IP Logged

Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #1728 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 7:31pm

Thanks for sharing this very urgent information 32. I’m probably one of the few people that did not know January 20th was the thaw timeframe. With multiple threats of snow pending it is going to be more important than ever to make sure everyone  stocks-up with several weeks worth of essentials.

IP Logged

32_GRINNING_TEETH

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BROOKLYN
Reply #1729 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 8:03am

Dates to watch:

Everything after XMAS is below normal;
Dec. 30   SnowStorm/Blizzard is possible;
TimesSquareBallDropTemp. could be about 11 degs.;
CIPolarBearSwimTemp. could be about 16 degs;
Jan. 1 - 6 Cold Wave....near 0 on 2nd,3rd is possible especially if there is widespread snow cover over 2/3 of the northern tier of the US;
Jan.04  more Snow?, but getting back to normal temps.?, or temps. stay below 32 day and night for nearly 2 weeks post XMAS.

Yes,this Jan. 20 period is a known  phenomenon of cold winters.  Bad news is that it is like the eye of a hurricane---winter returns in about 10 days.

If worse occurs,  no one will be moving in the City---especially here where space is already stolen for major construction projects.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2017 at 9:51pm by 32_GRINNING_TEETH »  

IP Logged

32_GRINNING_TEETH

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BROOKLYN
Reply #1730 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 5:42pm

Weather Update.

Big snows seem less likely (no phasing of systems) but models have turned even colder instead.   Do not expect a big warmup till late 2nd. week of Jan.
This could change back again when models get better data input, but 4" only through end of year seems probable now.
Chance of cold spell ending in next 5 days     0%
                                                  10 days  30%
                                                  15 days  50%

IP Logged

Capt_Nemo
Gold Member

Reply #1731 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 7:56pm

Today's wind storm hit the construction site by SBR and W8th bad.  Construction Styrofoam panels littered the street and even onto McDonald's sidewalk across the street.

Bruce
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2017 at 10:18pm by Capt_Nemo »  

IP Logged

Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #1732 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 8:46pm

Thank you for the update Captain. I had no idea of the wind condition at Coney Island. My friend J walks passed the SB Road site everyday on his way from Trump to Luna where he takes care of his mother-in-law. I just called him seconds ago to make sure he was okay. He didn’t see the damage but J said that he wasn’t surprised as the wind gusts were 50 mph.

IP Logged

Capt_Nemo
Gold Member

Reply #1733 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 9:38pm

had this video of the street sign in front of Nathans and the ride at Luna Park, amusement park.

https://youtu.be/td9xjgYjoAU

what you dont see, those bikes chained to the sign post, there was a garbage can that was blown from the sidewalk to the street.  This was of the open mesh garbage cans.

Bruce

Capt_Nemo wrote on Dec 25th, 2017 at 7:56pm:
Today's wind storm hit the construction site by SBR and W8th bad.  Construction Styrofoam panels littered the street and even onto McDonald's sidewalk across the street.

Bruce

IP Logged

Capt_Nemo
Gold Member

Reply #1734 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 10:24pm

Some photos i took on Sheepshead Bay Road earlier today.

There are smaller pieces in the street.  The two panels in the middle of the street i am guessing was damaged from cars running over them.

Bruce

IP Logged

Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #1735 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 10:36am

An awful lot of signs on that Surf Avenue pole.

IP Logged

Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #1736 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 8:11pm

Just received this info via e-mail. The included photos did not transfer to this message:

Dear Neighbor,

National Grid’s contractor, Posillico Environmental, completed the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC)-approved Excavation Interim Remedial Measure (IRM) and is now demobilizing from the site. We anticipate the demobilization to be complete within one week.

On-going activities:

Demobilization of site materials and equipment
Removal of containment pad
Removal of wheel wash pad
Final site grading
Demobilize sheet pile
Recently completed activities:

Demobilization of water treatment components
Demobilize tent structure supports
Demobilize air handling equipment
Removal of excavation shoring
Upcoming work activities:

Complete demobilization from site
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary

Community air monitoring is now complete for the project because there are no further ground intrusive activities. There were no 15-minute Action Limit exceedances for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC) and Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust] during the project.

Contact Information

National Grid will provide updates as the work at the site proceeds.  For more information, please leave a message on our hotline at (718) 982-7349 or email us at info@dangmanparkmgpsite.com

Website Update Information

National Grid will provide an activity update for neighbors of the former Dangman Park MGP site with developments related to the investigation and remediation of the Site. During the remedial construction phase, National Grid provides a weekly update on activities related to the remediation of the Site. The updates describe the work being done on and near the Site, and provide an outlook and schedule for upcoming work, including information about work that may impact normal community activities. All updates are archived under the Key Documents tab of this website.

Rough grading of site

Demobilize tent structure

ABI prepped for demobilization

Rough grading of site- Looking SW

IP Logged

32_GRINNING_TEETH

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BROOKLYN
Reply #1737 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 7:34pm

Weather Update.

Maybe another 11 days to go before temperature reaches 32 degrees.   We have 3 already.   Record is 16 straight days w/o touching freezing in Central Park.   Jan. 19-Feb.04 1961.   
That streak started with a snowstorm and ended with a blizzard.
As for those Polar Bears:
https://nypost.com/2017/12/28/frigid-temps-wont-faze-brooklyn-polar-bear-plunge-
club/

But the real story may turn out to be the colossal storm models are producing for Jan 3-5, which I hinted at 3 days ago.    This could be a wintertime Sandy, with 80 mph winds and 2-3 feet of snow, and who knows where the ocean will go this time.

Better start praying this stays out to sea, if it forms.  I think some effects will be felt here at any rate.   In the last 22 years NYC and other locales have destroyed every snow record of the last 150 years.
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2017 at 8:49pm by 32_GRINNING_TEETH »  

IP Logged

Lunaparker
Gold Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #1738 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 8:51pm

I know people who love this type of weather 32_G_T..........but I’m not one of them  Cheesy. Where I work in Southern Brooklyn, I guarantee 100% employee attendance on all but the first day of a truly big winter storm. Almost all the staff drives or takes public transportation (like me). A blizzard or heavy snow fall may be inconvenient but expected once or twice a season. My friend, 72 years-old and in so-so health, will be out there fighting the snow walking from West 5th to West 8th to take care of his mother-in-law six days a week.

We have staff that lost loved ones (yes, deaths) and their homes to Sandy. Sure hope this storm won’t be a winter Sandy. As I said before, I hope those with limited mobility start stocking-up on a few weeks worth of essentials

IP Logged

32_GRINNING_TEETH

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BROOKLYN
Reply #1739 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 3:46pm

Weather Update:

The Jan. 3-5 system is still showing up as too far to the east of us to cause many problems.   However it is creeping more west on some models and should affect Suffolk County at the least.
The string of below 32 degree highs should end on the 8th or 9th when a rain/snow mix should threaten us.

Meanwhile I noted the work area has been nicely groomed and the decontamination  went very fast.  I wonder if they really did all that was needed.   Trump's father could have done this with less planning in an environment where no one lived anymore, even with the cruder methods available in 1962.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 ... 120
Send Topic Print