Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Join Coney Island USA on Facebook!

Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

Back To ConeyIsland.com

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coney Island - Surf Avenue Panoramic on Jan 1st 2008 (Read 4351 times)
TheDewdrop
YaBB Newbies

I Love Coney Island!

Bay Ridge Brooklyn NY
Coney Island - Surf Avenue Panoramic on Jan 1st 2008
Oct 31st, 2011 at 9:43am

Upon emerging from the relatively new Coney Island Station I was greeted with this soggy scene so from under the protective entrance/exit I took a series of shots to be later stitched together.
---------------------------------
---------------------------------
Jan 1st 2008 @ Coney Island
Surf Avenue Panoramic in rain.
Autostitched 4 pictures into one.
Left to right:
Astroland, Coney Island Museum, Ice Cream Store, Eldorado Bumper Cars, Mini Flea Market, Island Grocery, Shore Hotel, Faber's Fascination, Instant Photos, Popeye's, Nathan's, candy store, trinkets, [far right at loops] Cyclone Baseball Stadium.

Just as when we visit our grade schools, the whole place looks so small here, so vulnerable. The Coney Island in our collective memories is a gigantic panalopy of a wonderful chaos that cannot be diminished or have it's garish colors subdued by any known external power. In The Coney Island of The Mind, if you will, Steeplechase will always be a Funny Place and a salute to our beloved "Sodom By The Sea".  Cheesy

IP Logged

Capt_Nemo
Gold Member

Re: Coney Island - Surf Avenue Panoramic on Jan 1st 2008
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 6:06pm

things of value and history, destroyed to be replaced with nothing of value, just so a land speculator can hope to maximize the return of his investment.

But he did guarantee to pass onto his children and his children’s children the burden of his name.

Bruce

Its all about the land between the Aquarium to Keyspan, south of Surf Ave.

IP Logged

West 32nd
Gold Member

I Love Coney Island!

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 6:32pm

In America, the marketplace determines all.  Historical preservation is an uphill struggle because the market for it is very small.  Visitors to this board represent a tiny, tiny minority: the vast majority of visitors to Coney are not interested in the old and the historic.

The most I hope for is an evolving Coney that captures, at least, a glimmer of its glorious past.

IP Logged

Best View Of Coney
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:30pm

Fantastic work!! I blew it up on my 27" iMac and was able to scan back and forth enlarged to really take in the details. Thanks for posting!!

Although everyone will jeer, no one can deny how truly run down and gross all the boarded up windows and graffiti look on the Henderson and Shore Hotel. They really were not too nice on the eyes.

West 32nd summed it up very well. Most coming here would have looked at those buildings and think Coney Island was a mess and run down. While the new buildings will be meaningless to those who revel in history as they have no history of course, they'll have more appeal to attract people, rather than turn them off at the sight of them. Not that those are the reasons they come to Coney Island, but that's the truth.

IP Logged

Capt_Nemo
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:36pm

Got to remember, those windows were boarded up on purpose, to make it look run down.  Underneath those boards were perfectly good windows.

its up to the owner of the buildings it keep it in good shape.  But this is what happens when you have a land owner not interested in the structure on the land, just the land itself.

Bruce

Quote:
Fantastic work!! I blew it up on my 27" iMac and was able to scan back and forth enlarged to really take in the details. Thanks for posting!!

Although everyone will jeer, no one can deny how truly run down and gross all the boarded up windows and graffiti look on the Henderson and Shore Hotel. They really were not too nice on the eyes.

West 32nd summed it up very well. Most coming here would have looked at those buildings and think Coney Island was a mess and run down. While the new buildings will be meaningless to those who revel in history as they have no history of course, they'll have more appeal to attract people, rather than turn them off at the sight of them. Not that those are the reasons they come to Coney Island, but that's the truth.

IP Logged

Capt_Nemo
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:40pm

Shore Hotel before it was slated for Sitt-struction

Bruce

IP Logged

Best View Of Coney
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 5:19pm

Capt_Nemo wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:40pm:

http://www.magicalthemeparks.com/coneyisland/coppertonesign/IMAG0030.JPG

Bruce

WOW it looks a lot different with windows that are not boarded up and no piles of garbage all over. Did the Henderson have windows then too? I really don't remember. All I know is they both looked dreadful and dilapidated to the point of looking condemned at the end.

IP Logged

Capt_Nemo
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 7:03pm

yep, Sitt did the same thing with Henderson too.  you can make out a couple of windows in the same photo.  I will look for some pre Sitt photos of Henderson to share with you.

My job has me going in and out of some very old buildings.  And some not so old buildings that look worst.

Take this example of two houses right next to each other.  One looks great, shingles all there.  siding in great shape.  The other has loose shingles, siding has peeling paint and looks ready to fall down.

These two houses arent just next to each other, but are attached to each other, share a comon wall, so you know they were built at the same time.  The only differrence is one owner took care, the other didnt.

Bruce

Quote:
Capt_Nemo wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:40pm:

http://www.magicalthemeparks.com/coneyisland/coppertonesign/IMAG0030.JPG

Bruce

WOW it looks a lot different with windows that are not boarded up and no piles of garbage all over. Did the Henderson have windows then too? I really don't remember. All I know is they both looked dreadful and dilapidated to the point of looking condemned at the end.

IP Logged

Capt_Nemo
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 7:18pm

IP Logged

Best View Of Coney
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 9:43am

Capt_Nemo wrote on Nov 2nd, 2011 at 7:18pm:

It still looked awful and downtrodden with all the defacing graffiti that no one ever removed. The center photo store has an amateurish sign and graffiti ridden gate too adding to make the bottom half look bad in the center of two nicer establishments. Faber's had the great sign and was the ONLY saving grace and something truly Coney Island. Popeye's looked at least professional.

Then when Sitt  boarded up all the windows, he really sealed the condemned blighted look forever. Someone should tie him to his boards and water board him! SURF'S UP!! Cheesy

IP Logged

Bogframe
Gold Member

Thanks for saving Ruby's
and Paul's Daughter!

Three stops from Coney Island
Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 7:08pm

OK, how about this one from 2002?

Archive and restore your photos before they fade away! www.bogframe.com
WWW bogframe  
IP Logged

beaucecarnavalman
Gold Member

I Love Coney Island!

Toronto Canada
Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 10:22pm

Bogframe wrote on Nov 19th, 2011 at 7:08pm:

the good old days eh

IP Logged

stevelarsc
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 7:51am

It's very true words, that things of value and history, destroyed to be replaced with nothing of value. We feel like to relate this sentence when we come across many of those Woodpeckers wooden spools places of our childhood times. We can see how time and development had lost some beautiful memories of ours.

IP Logged

James M Oliver
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 8:13am

I have gone in 2010 at Surf Avenue Panoramic when I associated with Professional Essay Writing Service UK it was an awesome experience for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print