Send Topic Print
Need help.....! (Read 12376 times)
RJ Walker
YaBB Newbies

Re: Need help.....!
Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 6:29pm

Reply to Elephant Man:
Thank you, and you are very welcome. 
I have researched it alot since it has a family connection for me.  The original poster didn't mention his bottle as having a "Jr" after Schweickert, but I assumed it did because all the Schweickert Coney Island labeled bottles I have seen show Schweickert Jr.    I recently acquired a Lager Beer Schweickert bottle without the Jr., and believe it dates to about 1880.   It doesn't say Coney Island on it, but says 367 Pearl Street, which was in Brooklyn, but not Coney Island.  From my research, Schweickert's bottling address from 1876 to 1881 was 367 Pearl St.    Menz and Co. bottles in Brooklyn also have a family connection for me as the Menz were related and they bottled at 356 Pearl St.    I picked up a Menz bottle just last week.   I also have 2 different Ph Schweickert Jr Coney Island bottles.  So my family bottle collection is growing.

IP Logged

RJ Walker
YaBB Newbies

Reply #16 - Nov 5th, 2016 at 7:41pm

Another update:   I just acquired a Coney Island  Ph Schweickert bottle that does NOT say Jr.   So I guess Coney Island ones  do exist without the Jr.   This one also says Brooklyn Garden on the back, and Mineral Water.  I would date it 1890 to 1900 .   (Before 1900 because it doesn't have the Jr. )    The earlier posters didn't mention  whether theirs said Jr. or not, and I assumed they must say Jr and so would be after 1900.    I now know that they could be either, and so the late 1880's to 1890's date they guessed could be accurate afterall.  But only if theirs had no Jr. on it (and most did if from Coney Island).

IP Logged

RJ Walker
YaBB Newbies

Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 10:18pm

Another update:   I recently acquired another Schweickert bottle,  only this is one says "Van Sicklen Station", not Coney Island embossed on it.  Also it is spelled "Ph Schweikert"  without  the 2nd c.    I checked the Brooklyn directories, and Phil Schweickert bottled at Van Sicklen Station from 1886 to 1892 or so.  So the Schweickert bottles saying Coney Island on it, probably date after 1892. Ones saying 367 Pearl Street probably date before 1885, and ones saying Van Sicklen Station date 1886-1892 or so.     If they have "Jr" after Schweickert, (and say Coney Island)  it probably dates 1900 to 1910 if a blob top,  and 1910 to 1915 or so if a  crown top.   Hope this info helps anyone else that acquires a Schweickert bottle.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print